STUDD, Gaston Reginald

No.2340, Private, Gaston Reginald STUDD
Aged 23

3rd/1st East Anglian Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps
Lost at Sea on Friday, 13th August 1915

Gaston Reginald Studd was born on 3rd July in Little Whelnetham (Thingoe Q3-1892 4A:736), baptised in St Mary Magdalene, Whelnetham on 4th August 1892, son of George and Mary Ann STUDD (née MOORE).

1901 census...Aged 8, he was at Betterhaugh Green, Elmswell with his mother Mary Ann STUDD [38] born Little Stonham; brothers James [13] general labourer, Frederick [11] both born in Whelnetham and Herbert [7] born Weston Market; sister Clara [2] born Elmswell. His father, George STUDD [38] a police constable born Barham was at the Police Station, Lisburn Road, Newmarket.

1911 census...Aged 18, a farm labourer, he was at The Street, Stanton with his parents; brother Frederick (farm labourer) and sister Clara May. His brother James was in the Grenadier Guards at Marlborough Lines, Aldershot.

CWGC have the address as Glebe Cottage, Flempton, but policemen tended to be moved around frequently so it could be that his parents, at least, were in Livermere at some time.In fact the pension card has his father at the Police tation Great Livermere, then moving to Glebe Cottage, Flempton

His elder brother James died of wounds in France in 1916. see here

He enlisted in Ipswich, when resident in Bury St Edmunds.
Some explanation for Gaston's death comes from

Another great source for this incident is here

"These men volunteered to join the Essex Regiment and appear to have constituted the drafts of June 23 and July 24 1915. They were part of the reinforcements carried by the transport "Royal Edward" which was torpedoed and sunk in the Aegean Sea on August 14th 1915. She sank two and a half minutes after the torpedo struck her. Of the 1,400 men she carried just over 600 were saved, and the drowned included all but 18 of the 300 Norfolk men."

On the morning of 13 August, HMTS Royal Edward passed HMHS Soudan, heading in the opposite direction. Oberleutnant zur See Heino von Heimburg in German submarine UB-14 was lying near the island of Kandeloussa and saw both ships. He allowed Soudan to pass unmolested, and instead concentrated on the unescorted Royal Edward, 6 nautical miles (11 km) off Kandeloussa. A single torpedo was enough to sink the Royal Edward, who just had time to send out an SOS signal. The Soudan picked up the signal and reversed course and managed to save just over 400.

The Royal Army Medical Corps lost 4 officers and 143 men

UB-14 was a coastal torpedo attack boat, carrying just two torpedoes. She sank 6 ships to a total of 25,500 tons and was scuttled near Sebastapol in 1919. Her captain went on to be a Vizeadmiral in 1942, At the end of WWII Soviet forces abducted Heino von Heimburg, then a 55-year-old retired naval officer and transported him to a POW camp near Stalingrad. He died there in October 1945.

Heino von HeimburgUB-14

HMT "Royal Edward"

Gaston Studd is commemorated on the Helles memorial, panels 199 and 200 or 236 to 239 and 328

click here to go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for full cemetery/memorial details