The history of the Exning War Memorial is sketchy, but hopefully that can be put right
After the end of World War One, the "Great War" or the "War to End all Wars", there was much discussion in Newmarket as to how best to commemorate the fallen.
Many schemes where suggested, a reading room, a sports facility, housing for relatives of the servicemen. Cost, effectiveness, location and funding all were
discussed and time sped by. Eventually Exning folk decided enough was enough, they would go their own way, and they did, albeit accepting their parochial
share eventually of funds raised in the whole area
©Cambridge News-Keith Jones
Workmen from Ivett & Reed, Cambridge Monumental Masons, re-building the Memorial.
The book, "Our Exning Heroes", was published in 1919.
Compiled by the vicar of St. Martin's Church, Exning, the Rev. H.P.Brewer, M,A.,B.D. and the curate in charge of St Philip's Church, the Rev. C.R.Farnsworth, M.A.
It was priced at 1/3 (about 6p in current money). One confusion must be cleared up here, the Church referred to as St Philip's was not in Exning, but was in St.Philip's Road, Newmarket, just off Exning Road.
The church currently often referred to as St Philip's was the old Workhouse Chapel and is now actually St Philip's and St. Etheldreda's.
In the late 1980's ,the Chapel (at the front of the old Hospital) was converted back from being a squash court, to a consecrated place of worship.
Many artefacts from the St Philip's Road Church were transferred there. There is a carved wooden Roll of Honour on the wall in this church.
The interior of St Philips Church in 1904 and again in 1987 just before demolition and below the exterior in 1987
on Newmarket's war memorial site