MOORE, George

No.GS/35163, Private, George MOORE
Aged 34

1st Battalion, Royal Fusiliers
Killed in Action on Tuesday, 31st July 1917

George Moore was born in Denston (Risbridge Q2-1883 4A:574), baptised in St Nicholas, Denston on 17th June 1883, son of Frederick and Mary MOORE (née HONEYBALL).

1891 census...Aged 8, he was at Lower Green, Denston with his fathwer Frederick MOORE [35] shepherd born Kedington; his mother Mary [33]; brothers John [10] and Harry [5]; sisters Amelia [3] and Alice [1 month]. All except his father were born in Denston.

1901 census... Aged 18, assistant shepherd, he was still at Lower Green, Denston with his parents (father now recorded as born Withersfield); brothers John (yardman on farm), Harry (stockman) and Charles [7] born Denston). Sister Amelia was a servant for the Orbell family at Sheepcote Farm, Denston. Sister Alice was a companion for widowed Maryann Dickerson [65] at Upper Green.

1911 census... Aged 27, a domestic gardener, he was still at Lower Green with his parents; brothers John (labourer) and Charles (shepherd's page); sisters Amelia and Alice. All 6 siblings survive.

He enlisted in Holloway. From their regimental numbers is seems William Carter and George Moore joined the Fusiliers on the same day.
The "Royal Fusiliers in the Great War" (H.C.O'Neill OBE) tells us that the 1st Battalion were part of the 24th Division for the Third Ypres. The conditions were terrible, deep waterlogged shell holes everywhere. Zero hour was 3:50 am and the 1st Battalion attacked with the 12th Battalion in 200 yards in the rear. Clinging closely to the barrage they took casualties as they crossed the valley at the eastern end of Shrewsbury Wood, the Germans not standing until the strong point at Jeffrey Avenue was reached. This trench ran from the NE face of Clonmel Copse to the N edge of Shrewsbury Wood, here they were held up until a party under Lt Flack rushed it. He knocked out the machine gun with a rifle grenade (winning a bar to his Military Cross). This part of the line was then consolidated. "C" Coy.reached the SW face of Bodmin Copse but had their Captain killed by a sniper. Only the left company maintained direction. The 12th Battalion passed through the 1st having been held up while the 1st were reducing numerous strong-points. All were held up on the western edge of Bodmin Copse and the advance was abandoned. A final line was established 500 yards west of Bassevillebeek and held by the 1st and 12th Fusiliers and the 3rd Rifle Brigade and Leinsters. O'Neill had casualties at 277 of the 1st battalion.

CWGC has 83 of the 1st Battalion killed that day, only 11 with known graves.

photo: Commonwealth War Graves Commission

George Moore is commemorated on the Menin Gate, Ypres panels 6 and 8

click here to go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for full cemetery/memorial details

BACK to Denston home page