"CULFORD ESTATE WAR MEMORIAL"
To the eternal memory of the men of the CULFORD ESTATE who died in the service of their country
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
11 from Culford, 11 from Ingham, 1 from WEST Stow in the Great War of 1914-1919 and a total of 9 in 1939-1945
Culford has two war memorials, the traditional war memorial by the village hall where the dead of Culford Estate ( Culford, West Stow, Ingham and Worwell) are honoured, and also a framed scroll in the church honouring the Culford men who fell on both World Wars.
The Estate war memorial is at the front of the village hall. A portland stone obelisk, on a square plinth, atop a two-tier pavement base.
This memorial commemorates four parishes. The front, west face has a bronze plaque commemorating the men of Culford Estate, beneath which is a brass/bronze plaque commemorating the all fallen from WW2. Each face of the square plinth has the name of one of four adjacent parishes carved in relief, commemorating those who fell in WW1.
On the front, west face, is Culford, with a bronze plaque beneath, listing 11 names giving their rank, initials and surname (the first 9 of these names are also commemorated on the roll of honour in St. Marys Church, but Dennis and Wilding are not); on the left, north face, is Ingham also listing 11 names (also listed the Ingham War Memorial in St. Bartholomews Church), with a similar plaque beneath; on the rear, east face, is West Stow listing one man (also listed on the roll of honour in St. Marys Church, West Stow), with a similar plaque beneath; and on the right, south face, is Wordwell, with no plaque.
Currently the bronze plaques are too badly stained to use any photographs
From reports in the local press in 1922:-
"Armistice Day was observed on Friday in various ways through the country and Empire, the great silence at eleven o'clock commemorating the third anniversary of the Armistice being general. It was a happy inspiration that resulted in the Culford Estate War Memorial being unveiled and dedicated to synchronise with the general commemoration of those who laid down their lives in the late War.
To facilitate the attendance of tenants and employees on the Estate a holiday was granted by Earl Cadogan, and a large assembly participated in the impressive ceremony. The memorial, which is erected on the space in front of the Village Hall, is constructed of Portland stone, and takes the form of an obelisk on a square base, the whole being mounted on two steps. The monument is very massive and the die bears three bronze plates on which are inscribed the names of the fallen men associated with the Estate. On the front of the obelisk is a bronze wreath of laurels enclosing the inscription:
"This memorial was erected in grateful memory of the men of Culford Estate who fell in the great War, 1914-18; Faithful unto death". Each side of the die bears the name of an Estate village, viz., Culford, Ingham, West Stow and Wordwell, the panel bearing the latter name being devoid of names. About 15 feet in height, the monument is, as Earl Cadogan aptly remarked, "representative of the men to whose memory it is erected; sound, solid and strong".
Mr. Sidney Naish of Bury St Edmunds was the architect. The general arrangements were in the hands of a representative Committee of which Earl Cadogan was Chairman, with Major T. H. Bryant, M.B.E., as Secretary and Treasurer. The service was of a simple but impressive character the assembly forming a huge ring around the memorial which was draped with national flags.
Accompanying his Lordship was the Countess of Cadogan, with Lady Beatrice Cadogan, who was selling Flanders poppies, and little Viscount Chelsea. The clergy in attendance were the Rev. J. D. K. Mahomed, M.A., Rector of Ingham, who officiated at the service; the Rev. E. R. Swift, Rector of West Stow with Wordwell and the Rev. C. T. Lynch (curate), and the company included Mrs. Hay, Messrs. J. H. Furmedge, J. D. Sayer, W. Liddiard and Harvey. By permission of Major E. E. Pearson, O. C. Suffolk Depot, Lnce-Cpl. C. Bye and Drummers Beer, Blofield and Palfrey attended to sound the "Last Post" and the "Reveille". Dr. Isaac Watts' grand old hynm, "O God, our help in ages past", was sung, following which appropriate prayers were offered by the Rev. J. D. K. Mahomed.
At eleven o'clock the Two Minutes' Silence was observed, the commencement and conclusion being signified by a bugler. Mr. E. H. Johnson, on behalf of the Culford Estate War Memorial Committee, then asked Earl Cadogan to unveil the memorial, his Lordship complying with the dedicatory words: "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, we dedicate this Memorial to the Glory of God, and to the memory of the soldiers of this estate who gave their lives in the service of their country".
The "Last Post" was sounded, following which Earl Cadogan read out the names of the fallen as inscribed on the monument. This was a particularly touching interlude and many of the bystanders were visibly affected as names of their lost loved ones were pronounced. Addressing the assembly, Earl Cadogan observed that it was three years ago, in a railway carriage in France, that the Armistice had been signed. When that anniversary came round each year they should think, during those Two Minutes' Silence, what they really owed to the men to whose memory they were unveiling the memorial that day. They did all that they could to give us victory and peace but this they could not do, they could not give us prosperity. They left to us a great and sacred trust -the restoration of our shattered country .They must now put their backs into it and do their share towards winning the peace which those fellows gave them the chance of winning ...every one of them had got to work together for the good of their great country and try in every way to help one another and all who lived under their flag.
Further prayers were followed by the hymn "Fight the good fight", and after the Blessing the buglers sounded "Reveille", a fitting conclusion to a ceremony whose note of mourning was relived by "the larger hope". A pleasing incident was observed as relatives of the fallen men came forward to deposit floral tokens at the foot of the memorial, the Countess Cadogan kneeling on the lower step as she placed on the base of the monument a beautiful wreath of choice chrysanthemums'.
'The Roll of Honour is as follows:
Culford -Major the Hon. W. Cadogan; L/C Reginald Farthing; Pte. Stephen Manning; Pte. Albert Marsh; Pte. Stanley Dorling; Pte. Cecil Clarke; Pte. W. P. Greenfield; Pte. A. Montgomery; Pte. Oliver Clarke; Pte. Ernest Dennis; Pte. Harry Wilding.
Ingham -Capt. Felix Wyatt; Pte. Edward Osborne; Pte. Bertie King; Pte. M. G. Edgley; Pte. William Seeley; Sapper Frank E. Smith; Gunr Charles Dennis; Pte.Frank Fenton; Gunner William Betts; Pte. Walter Chapman; Pte. Bertie Osborne.
West Stow -Pte. Robert Rickwood.
The bronze plate added after World War Two has engraved:-
G.F.CLARK - H.COUSINS - P.DAWSON - G.F.GOOFELLOW - J.M.MACDONALD - F.L.NUNN - W.D.ROBINS - W.WALLACE - D.S.WEDDERBURN-OGILVY
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,